Balochistan, one of five provinces of Pakistan, which is also a culturally rich region. Balochi cuisine is a delight of longstanding cultural heritage of Balochistan.
Balochi people are majorly fond of meat, particularly mutton and lamb.
Cooking ways in Balochistan:
In order to cook balochi foods and dishes in their best form, it is important to cook them with the best of techniques. Marinating of meat must be done with proper method,it adds softness to the meat which at times requires overnight cooking to get the best result.
I am sharing some of balochi recipes which are specialties of Balochistan.
Traditional Balochi Foods and Dishes With Recipes
- Leg of lamb – 1. 1/2 kg
- Lemon juice -1/4 cup
- White vinegar -3/4 cup
- Yogurt -1/2 cup
- Ginger garlic paste – 3tbspn
- Meat tenderizer or kachri powder -1tbspn
- Lemon slices and chat masala – as required
- Mix masala: – 2tbspn
- Wash and clean the lamb leg,prick with fork and make few cuts on it, soak it in water for one hour.
- Take it out from water and add yogurt, lemon juice, vinegar, ginger garlic, salt, masala and meat tenderizer mix well and place it on lamb leg by rubbing it thoroughly.
- Let it marinated for overnight.
Methods of cooking:
- Bake it in preheated oven on 150c for an hour
- Place it in skewer n cook it on fire flame.
- Cook in slow flame by adding water in utensil to form steam, by changing it sides time to time.
When cooked serve it with chat masala and lemon slices.
You can choose any method from above.
- Beef mince -1kg
- Bread slices 2-3
- Papaya paste or meat tenderizer -2tspn
- Fresh cream -2tbspn
- Roasted chick peas 2tbspn
- Cumin -1tspn
- Black cumin -1tspn
- Small cardamom -6
- Black peppercorn -4
- Poppy seeds -1tbspn
- Red chilli powder -1/2tspn
- Ginger garlic paste – 2tbspn
- Salt -to taste
- Egg -1
- Chopped green chillies 4
- Oil – as required
- Roast chick peas, poppy seed, cumin, black cumin, cardamom, black peppercorn together and grind them.
- Now chop mince and bread slices, add fresh cream, salt, red chilli powder and mix it.
- After that add 2 tbspn seekh kabab masala, egg, papaya, chopped green chillies, mix it well and keep it for minimum 1/2 hour.
Grease your hands, make kabab on skewers and cook it on coals by turning it sides.
Chicken Sajji With Rice
- 1 whole chicken -1kg
- 3tpspn ginger garlic paste
- 4tbspn vinegar
- 1tspn salt
- 2tspn black pepper
- 2 black cardamons
- 2tspn Anar Dana
- 2tspn cumin
- 1tspn fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1tspn coriander seeds
- 2 cup long grain basmati rice
- 2tbspn olive or sunflower oil
- 2 medium chopped onions
- 1tspn garlic paste
- 2.1/2tspn salt
- 2tspn black pepper
- 4 green cardamoms
- 10 dates pitted and chopped
- Few strands of saffron soaked in 2tbspn milk(optional)
- Mix vinegar, ginger-garlic paste, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Place whole chicken in an oven proof dish, pour vinegar and marinate over chicken, rub it thoroughly all over it, even inside the cavity. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (can be overnight).
- Pre heat oven to 175C/350F. Roast all the spices on a skillet for 1-2 minutes. Grind all the spices.
- Rub half of the ground spices all over the chicken.
- cover and bake for 1 hour
Meanwhile prepare the rice
- Boil rice with green cardamom, cinnamon sticks and 2tpns salt. When they are near to done, strain water.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, fry onions till brown.
- Add garlic paste, 1/2 tspn salt and pepper, 1/4 cup water.
- Let the masala simmer till it turns a lovely golden brown shade.
- Add dates and fry,add rice and fry for another minute.
When chicken is done, spread cooked rice on the pan all around and also stuff some rice in chicken cavity.put the chicken on rice.bake it for 15/20 minutes uncovered. Garnish with nuts and serve hot.